Are you planning a visit to Boston and wondering what to do for fun at night in Boston? Participating in the local nightlife scene can be a lot of fun when you travel to a new city, but figuring out where the locals go isn’t always easy. Here are 6 of the best Boston nightlife options for you to consider. Boston locals enjoy these top nightlife activities – and if you’re here for a visit, you will too!
6 of the best Boston nightlife activities for having fun at night in Boston:
1. Begin with a drink and dinner at one of Boston’s restaurants such as Radius or Jacob Wirth. Because so many people live and work right in the city, Boston restaurants are a big part of the Boston nightlife scene and tend to be full every night of the week. With a lot of fabulous chef-owned restaurants and bistros, casual eateries, and even splurge restaurants to sample, Boston foodies often start their evening with a great meal. You can find terrific restaurants in all prices ranges and with all types of cuisines in every part of the city. Best of all, most have awesome bar areas, so you can stop by for before-dinner drinks or late-night snacks. Most restaurants fill up around 7pm – so either make reservations, or go a little earlier in order to beat the crowds.
2. Spend part of your evening at one of the many Boston comedy club such as the Boston Comedy Connection at the Wilbur Theatre. You’ll have your choice of stand-up, improv, ensembles, open mic, and other formats. You can also find national headliners as well as local talent. Catching a show or two at a comedy club is a popular Boston nightlife option. Although some comedy clubs are strictly 21+, others offer at least some family-friendly shows, especially during early evening hours.
3. Or, spend the evening at the movies. In addition to a few theaters that show first-run movies such as the Loew’s Boston Common, you’ll find lots of other theaters and other venues for watching foreign language, indie, classic, experimental, and other film genres. If you’re a movie buff, going to the cinema may become your favorite Boston nightlife activity.
4. Or, catch a show at a Boston theater such as the Charles Playhouse or the Schubert Theatre. You can see everything from Broadway musicals to Shakespeare to cutting edge theater in Boston’s many theater venues. Most of the theaters are located in Boston’s downtown Theatre District. Boston is fortunate to have a wealth of theater choices on every night of the week. A favorite evening agenda in Boston includes going for drinks and dinner, catching a show, and then continuing on for perhaps more drinks and dancing.
5. Stop by one of the many Boston bars. If you’re interested in exploring Boston nightlife, you’ll probably end up in one (or more) of our popular bars, where a lot of Boston locals have fun at night in the city. You’ll find everything from great sports bars such as Games On! where you can enjoy a drink and food surrounded by big screens to historic taverns such as the Green Dragon Inn where the Sons of Liberty hatched their plans for a revolution to cozy Irish pubs such as The Times featuring Guinness and Irish music, and much, much more. Be sure to check out the terrific Boston bars near Fenway Park, as well as near Banknorth Garden.
6. End your evening at one of Boston’s dance clubs – Where do you go toward the end of the evening? That’s easy – a dance club such as An Tua Nua. Boston has a wide range of choices from casual to dress, all featuring DJs and every kind of music that you can imagine. Most of these popular Boston nightlife spots get going around 11pm – and then close at 2am after last call.